Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

History of the Student Union


1890

YMCA BUILDING BUILT

Served as first recreation and student center at the University of Tennessee.

 


1943

YMCA BUILDING DESTROYED BY FIRE

 

 


September 9, 1954

CAROLYN P. BROWN MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY CENTER OPENED


 

Fall 1967

ENLARGED CENTER OPENED

Recreation Center on the lower floor included bowling lanes and billiard room.

The UT Bookstore was considered to be the 2nd largest bookstore in the south at the time.


December 1971

UC PARKING GARAGE OPENS


October 1974

DAILY BEACON REPORTS CURRENT AMENITIES IN UC

  • Theater Ticket Office
  • UT Book & Supply Store
  • Career Planning
  • Candy Shop and Lobby Shop
  • Darkroom in Basement
  • Three Cafeterias including Rafter’s, Smokey’s, & Hermitage Room
  • University Lost & Found
  • Lounge for card players and day students
  • Music Lounge

September 1981

DAILY BEACON RELEASES SECOND REPORT ON CURRENT AMENITIES IN UC

  • Stokely Lanes Bowling Facilities
  • Game Room
  • Craft Center offering instruction in metals, stained glass, photography, and weaving
  • Barton Music Lounge
  • Cherokee and Brown lounges
  • Art Gallery

Winter 1982

MONEY WALL

Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) were installed in cubbies.


1994

CLASS OF 1994 PRESENTED THE UNIVERSITY WITH A BRONZE SEAL


2012

CONSTRUCTION BEGINS ON NEW STUDENT UNION


Summer 2015

FIRST PHASE OF NEW STUDENT UNION OPENS

Includes the Volshop, VolTech, Vol Dining Locations, & Center for Career Development.

Spring 2019

SECOND PHASE OF STUDENT UNION OPENS

Includes UCopy, Art Gallery, Union Station, Auditorium, Dean of Students, Sorority & Fraternity Life, Center for Leadership & Service, Center for Student Engagement, SGA, and Visitors Center.