Student Building Manager Job Description
The Student Building Manager oversees the use and care of building equipment, furnishings, and facilities after regular office hours and on weekends. This includes oversight of activities, schedules, event set – ups, equipment functions, and general building security. The Student Building Manager may function in the role of Tech Team as needed. The Student Building Manager also supervises personnel performance and coordinates with other departments and service agencies.
- Requires working nights, weekends, game days, and other times as assigned. On an as needed basis, works events after regular building hours and during semester breaks.
- Responsible for opening and/or closing of the building.
- Responsible for safety and security of facility, furnishings, equipment, guests, and employees.
- Able to be flexible and handle different situations with confidence and leadership.
- Maintains a willingness to assist facility users in any reasonable request, including last-minute changes and audio-visual needs, and coordinates activities with other Managers as well as Custodial and Maintenance staff on duty.
- Manages onsite facility and customer problems, conflicts, and issues. Identifies and resolves immediate operations issues in the building.
- Executes emergency procedures (such as building evacuations or medical emergencies).
- Maintains constant awareness of building users through periodic building walks, unlocks and locks appropriate doors for scheduled activities.
- Completes daily audio-visual equipment set-ups and is able to operate audio-visual equipment utilized by the department (PA systems, slide/overhead projectors, LCD projectors, computers, TV/VCR/DVD players, speakers).
- Models appropriate behavior, provides leadership and assists in the training and development of student employees.
- Creates a friendly atmosphere for students, staff, and visitors, by building positive working relationships.
- Serve in a public relations capacity for the department and the University.
- Relays all pertinent information/issues to staff members as appropriate.
- Is knowledgeable of departmental policies, procedures, operations, and objectives and strives to uphold them at all times while on duty or on the premises.
- Is capable of filling in, when needed, in other functional areas
- Attends weekly meetings and training sessions designated by the Evening Building Manager.
- Minimum of one-year college experience
- Actively pursuing a degree at the University of Tennessee, as a student in good standing.
- Have initiative and a willingness to learn.
- Must be able to adapt to changes in objectives and policies.
- Must also be able to work with all Student Union staff.
- Must display tactfulness in dealing with the public and be able to do so without supervision.
- Basic knowledge of the campus is necessary.
- Must be able to work 12+ hours per week.
- Previous experience as a student employee with the Student Union is preferred.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for two references to the Student Union Marketing email as firstname.lastname@example.org.