The University of Tennessee Student Union partners with students to provide services an an intentional use of space to promote community, student learning and development, as well as a sense of belonging.
The Student Union embraces the Volunteer Creed “One beareth a torch shadoweth oneself to give light to others” and follows the Core Values embraced by the Association of College Unions International (ACUI).
- Unconditional human worth
- Caring community
Community within the Student Union
Community within the Student Union is guided by the Role of the College Union statement, which was reviewed and ratified by the Association of College Unions International (ACUI) in 2018. It states:
“The college union advances a sense of community, unifying the institution by embracing the diversity of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. We bolster the educational mission of the institution and the development of students as lifelong learners by delivering an array of cultural, educational, social, and recreational programs, services, and facilities.
By any form or name, we serve as the heart of the campus community and create a welcoming environment by:
- Operating as a student-centered organization that engages in shared decision making and holistic development through employment and involvement.
- Advocating for inclusivity and equity, fostering respect, and affirming the identities of all individuals.
- Educating students in leadership and social responsibility and offering firsthand experiences in global citizenship.
- Providing gathering spaces to encourage formal and informal community interactions that build meaningful relationships.
Traditionally considered the living room, the college union enhances the student experience and cultivates an enduring connection to the institution.”